General & User Interface
- Light on resources, yet powerful (able to handle databases and playlists with over 100,000 tracks)
- Fully customizable, from columns (by UI Columns plugin) and buttons to functionality (via other plugins) can be tailor made to each user’s preferences
- Full Support for Unicode
- Totally free organization of your screen with UI columns
- Playlist Tabs and Playlist Switcher (UI Columns) allow multi-playlist support
- Full Support (playback, tagging, DSP support) for wide variety of formats (from popular ones like MP3, Vorbis, AAC, FLAC, Wavpack to lesser popular ones like AU, SND, Module files). Foobar also supports CUE sheets, Matroska Container as well as files within archives like zip, rar and 7z.
- Support for Secure Ripping CDs and converting files. The Converter allows command line support for maximum flexibility
- Support for 24-bit sound cards
- Support for Kernel Streaming, ASIO for direct audio output (via plugin)
- Decoding in 32-bit floating bit pipeline mode for greater accuracy; support for lossless files with 48-bit integers
- Support for Gapless Playback (i.e. no short silence between two tracks because of imposed sample length (mp3) )
- Full Replaygain Support. Replaygain smoothes the volume of the audio files without physically changing the file itself.
- Multiple methods to avoid clipping; Replaygain, Pre-amplification, Clipping limiters
- Resampling DSP to "change" the sampling rate (useful for 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz conversion)
- Dithering algorithm, a kind of advanced reduction, which allows to keep a bit of the high definition information lost in this operation
- Crossfeed, Bauer Plugin for better headphone listening
- Advanced equalizer on 18 frequencies
- Ability to burn audio CD (requires Nero)
- Customizable Buffer memory
Database & File Management
- Masstagger, which makes tagging multiple files easier, and also allows advanced operations like Guessing values from file names, Formatting values from other tags, inputting values from text files, Splitting Fields.
- Ability to rename and move files, as well as create new directory structures for better file management
- Autoplaylist to facilitate the creation of playlists matching user-defined criteria (e.g. Genre is Rock, Last played songs, Songs Rated 5 stars etc)
- Highly Configurable plugins such as Browser View, Album List for easy access to the media library.
- advanced searching tools to find data contained even in unusual tag fields
- High modularity (adding a plugin in your components folder usually install it)
- ABX component: Ability to listen blindly two tracks to know which one is better
- Bitcomparision component: Ability to do a bit to bit comparison between two files, so as to know if lossless encoding is pertinent, whithout any interference from tags or other headers
- Ability to write playlists information in HTML or text files
- Ability to control foobar from a remote computer
- Ability to manage your Ipod directly from foobar (foo_pod)
September 26 2007 00:26:47.